Extra Points: Incognito resurfaces as Twitter bully
Philadelphia, PA (.com) - What's more dangerous, a loaded gun or a high-profile athlete with no filter on Twitter?
For anyone in the image-making industry, that answer is a rather easy one.
The classic "he said, he said" really blew up on Wednesday when the nation's poster child for bullying, Richie Incognito, broke his relative silence for the first time since being suspended by the Miami Dolphins for tormenting teammate Jonathan Martin.
The veteran "offensive" lineman's first Tweet addressing the situation was lobbed at 2:42 p.m. ET.
"I'm ready to move on with my life and career," Incognito wrote. "I've been dragged through the mud for months by my "best friend" #betrayed #railroaded."
Plenty of observers and most of the Dolphins have actually sided with Incognito through this whole ordeal because more than a few are fed up with a politically correct society which has spawned people who feel it's their place to adjudicate everything they may deem as out of bounds, whatever the intent or context may be.
Incognito's sudden uptick in voicing his opinion was born out of frustration just as NFL-appointed investigator Ted Wells was expected to file his final report with the NFL regarding his investigation into the bullying allegations made by that "best friend," Martin.
According to Wells' law firm -- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP -- the final report was scheduled to be sent to the NFL this week.
"Mr. Wells informed the NFL before the Super Bowl that he expected his report to be completed and issued either late next week or early the following week," the firm said in a statement released on Feb. 5. "Mr. Wells continues to be in full control of the timing of the report."
The situation could have been complicated by over 1,000 text messages between Martin and Incognito that were made public through multiple media outlets. Exchanges where both joked and seemed like friends while hurling admittedly off-color barbs at each other.
"The facts clearly show the allegations are false and there was no bullying," Incognito said via text message to the NFL Network. "Just banter both ways between two good friends. I intend to do as I always have: focus on doing the best job I can for my team and fans and helping my team win."
On Twitter, Incognito war far more blunt: "Dear Jon Martin..... The truth is going to bury you and your entire "camp". You could have told the truth the entire time."
Wells' investigation into this mess began on Nov. 6 when he was appointed by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to look into Martin's allegations against Incognito, along with the overall workplace conditions and culture of the Dolphins' organization.
Wells reportedly interviewed both Incognito and Martin on two occasions while many other members of the team and the front office have been deposed as well.
Incognito, however. was suspended by the Dolphins when Wells began the investigation, a penalty finally lifted last week. Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, however, has already said that he doesn't think either Incognito or Martin will return to the team in 2014.
"I'm guilty of being a loyal friend and good teammate," Incognito expressed. "I apologize for my poor language and rude remarks. I've never denied it."
Incognito went way too far, however, when he revealed something a lot of us already surmised -- Martin has some serious emotional issues and needs help.
"FACT: Jonathan Martin told me he thought about taking his own life in MAY 2013 b/c he wasn't playing well," Incognito tweeted. "Told me he felt worthless."
Now a somewhat sympathetic figure who figures to be at least partially vindicated by Wells' work blew it all up with a couple keystrokes.
Today, Incognito is back to being the meathead after Twitter bullying a potentially mentally ill young man.
February 13, 2014, at 10:44 AM ET
|<-- Saints part ways with Greer, Harper, Smith, Vilma|
|Lions release Burleson, Delmas -->|
Archives: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 |
Banner, Lombardi out in Cleveland
Steelers hire Joey Porter as defensive assistant coach
Broncos give Elway three-year extension